Re: UDL device cannot get its own screen

2019. 10. 22. 22:57 keltezéssel, Ilia Mirkin írta:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:50 AM Böszörményi Zoltán <zboszor@xxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have the below configuration for an Intel based POS system that,
while advertises 3 outputs (DP1, VGA1 and HDMI1 with xf86-video-intel),
only two are usable. DP1 for the built-in touchscreen and VGA1 for
the external VGA connector.

I wanted to use an USB DisplayLink device as the 3rd output, with all
three output using its own Screen number, i.e. :0.0 :0.1 and :0.2.

[...]

How can I set up 3 different Screens correctly for 3 separate fullscreen
applications?

I am using Xorg 1.20.4 patched with the "autobind GPUs to the screen"
patch from Dave Airlie that at least wakes up the UDL device and makes
it visible without extra magic with providers/sinks.

If it's being treated as a GPU, that's your first problem for this
kind of setup. You should see modeset(2), in your logs, but I suspect
you're seeing modeset(G0) (the "G" indicates "GPU").

modeset(2) is the unconnected HDMI-1 output advertised by the Intel chip.
modeset(G0) is UDL.

[...]
Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "DVI-I-1-1"

The others are Monitor-*, this one isn't. You probably want this to be
DVI-I-1, as noted below. I guess you get the extra -1 from seeing it
as a slaved GPU's output in your current configuration.

Indeed. Fixed.

         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Option          "Rotate" "normal"
EndSection

[...]
Section "Device"
         Identifier      "UDL"
         Driver          "modesetting"
         Option          "kmsdev" "/dev/dri/card0"
         Screen          2
         Option          "Monitor-DVI-I-1-1" "DVI-I-1-1"

I think you have an extra -1 in here (and the monitor name doesn't
exist as per above). And I think the "Screen" index is wrong -- it's
not what one tends to think it is, as I recall. I think you can just
drop these lines though.

Without "Screen N" lines, all the outputs are assigned to :0
so the screen layout setup in the ServerLayout section is not
applied properly.

I have read Dave Airlie's patch (that has been accepted into Xorg
1.21.0) more closely, and it indeed binds UDL to DISPLAY=:0
I think this patch needs a followup patch so it would use the
screen ID specified in the Device section.

EndSection

[...]

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier      "LAYOUT"
         Option          "AutoServerLayout" "on"
         Screen          0 "SCREEN"
         Screen          1 "SCREEN1" RightOf "SCREEN"
         Screen          2 "SCREEN2" RightOf "SCREEN1"
EndSection

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi