Re: drm bridge control from another driver

On 13.02.2019 14:40, Vinay Simha B N wrote:
> Andrzej/Daniel,
>
> please suggest any input on the scenario for temperature control and
> dsi bridge enable/disable.
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Vinay Simha B N <simhavcs@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:simhavcs@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     dsi2hdmi(adv7511) chip operating temperature range is -10 degC
>     to +85 degC. We want to enable/disable the bridge only when
>     temperature range is inbetween these range.
>
>     We have temperature control chip to read the temp, tLow an tHigh
>     can be set. whenever interrupt(alert) triggers we want to
>     enablel/disable the bridge.
>
>     Any suggestion what is the better way to handle this scenario?

Why do you need to bother about this quite big range at all?

I guess the best would be to set whole platform operating temperature
range, and poweroff/sleep/slow down/??? whole system, not just one
random chip, which probably is not the most fragile piece, am I right?

If you really insist on handling it per chip, you can try to investigate
following paths:

1. Just disable the chip, without noticing drm, other drivers, or
userspace, and re-enable it if temperature become acceptable, but I am
not sure if this will not change behavior of other chips.

2. Disable the chip and report to the drm subsystem
connector_status_disconnected - this will cause drm to stop display
pipeline and userspace notification.

Regards

Andrzej