Re: Expose more EDID fields to userspace

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 8:59 PM Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:07:09 +0000
> > Brian Starkey <Brian.Starkey@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > If the quirks can be re-encoded back into an EDID representation, then
> > > this sounds like a fairly good approach to me.

> > > I agree. It seems likely that whatever happens (some) userspace is
> > > still going to implement (some) EDID parsing functionality, so it's
> > > hard to reason about what belongs where. Shared code in userspace
> > > (libdrm?) may well be better than exposing it from the kernel.
> > >
> > > If it is exposed by the kernel, then it's still non-obvious to me
> > > how the kernel exposes that information/interpretation. Adding
> > > a property for every potentially-useful field really doesn't scale
> > > well, and what fields are useful isn't obvious - e.g. serial string vs
> > > serial no., as mentioned by Simon.
> > >
> > > Uma's recent series: "Add HDR Metadata Parsing and handling in DRM
> > > layer"[1] is a good example of more stuff which userspace would want to
> > > parse out of the EDID (supported display colorimetry and transfer
> > > functions).
> > >
> > > It would be nice to avoid duplicating all the CEA extension parsing
> > > code, but the EDID/CEA data structure is extensible by design. So the
> > > kernel API would need to be similarly extensible, or we'll just
> > > balloon loads of properties... and then the kernel API would likely
> > > just end up just looking similar to the CEA block anyway.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > -Brian
> > >
> > > [1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2018-December/200154.html
> >
> > I would agree with an effort to establish a userspace EDID parsing
> > library in any case. As mentioned above, there will probably be too
> > much to expose via kernel UABI, or it will become just another
> > encoded format that again should have a shared parser library in
> > userspace.
> >
> > Would it be possible to architect the library so that it would be
> > shared with the kernel? Maybe the quirks database could be shared
> > with the kernel as well? That way both kernel and userspace would
> > more or less agree on the parsing details.
>
> Maybe make it part of libdrm and import the shared files periodically
> like we do for driver ioctl interfaces?

We could also merge libdrm into the kernel ... Just as a wild idea to
consider at least. I think it would also help in other areas, keeping
the headers in sync, documenting the uapi properly, and all that.
Would lockstep libdrm release with kernel releases, but most
drivers+igt fixed that by just having copies of the headers in their
tree.
-Daniel

> Alex
>

> > I've been dreaming of a "liboutput" that would e.g. parse EDID,
> > generate CVT video mode timings, and whatnot that all display
> > servers more or less will duplicate. Once upon a time Ajax started
> > minitru IIRC...
> >
> > Another thing for "liboutput" was a device description database,
> > whose first use would have been the "non-desktop" property. Because
> > we don't expose monitors through udev to have udev rules tag them
> > with interesting bits.
> >
> > Imagine this: monitors exposed as devices via udev, tagged with
> > helpers as regular monitor, HMD, TV, projector, ... and all EDID
> > fields decoded as well. And quirks in hwdb. But I suppose that
> > won't happen, because a "monitor device node" would have no other
> > use. Except... programmatical monitor controls? Like backlight,
> > brightness, contrast, and so on.
> >
> > Ah, nevermind. :-)
> >

> > Thanks,
> > pq