Re: [drm_hwc] PSA: drm_hwc submissions via gitlab

On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 03:12:55PM -0400, Sean Paul wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 08:30:18PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM, Sean Paul <seanpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > > Apologies for the direct ping. I've harvested your emails from drm_hwc git logs,
> > > and didn't want to leave anyone out. The good news is that your email address
> > > will forever be remembered in the annals of drm_hwcomposer!
> > >
> > > Anyways, back to the point.
> > >
> > > Now that we have our shiny freedesktop gitlab instance [1], we should really
> > > start using it to its fullest extent. This means 2 things:
> > >
> > > 1- When you send patches, please consider using gitlab merge requests instead of
> > >    git send-email. This is not mandatory, but dri-devel is so busy, I want to
> > >    make sure things aren't lost. Further, there might be some who are not
> > >    interested in reading dri-devel *gasp*, but who are interested in drm_hwc.
> > > 2- If you're interested in being notified of merge requests (since dri-devel can
> > >    not be cc'd), please consider clicking "Watch" on the project and choose your
> > >    desired notification level.
> > >
> > > If you're still reading, I'll point out a couple other things:
> > > - There is a bug tracker on the gitlab instance, feel free to add
> > >   bugs/features/etc to it.
> > > - I've added a TODO list to the wiki, but in typing this, realized it's probably
> > >   better to file bugs for each item. So please ignore the TODO wiki entry.
> >
> > Any plans to wire up autobuilder or maybe even functional CI to the
> > gitlab instance? That's where stuff gets really cool (and I think a
> > lot of people will see the value of abandoning dri-devel much more,
> > beyond the better S/N ratio).
>
> Not as far as I know. A fun afternoon project might be to hook up clang-format
> verification as a merge request hook. Aside from that, I think proper (or even
> improper/simple) CI would require more effort than we have resources.

A couple additional thoughts,

We have seen a good uptick in drm_hwc activity in the last month or so, so maybe
there is someone with time to do this.

The other (imo significant) benefit gitlab has in addition to S/N is that it's
not an email-based workflow. I'm particularly looking forward to reviewing patches
side-by-side instead of in a mutt window :-).

Sean