Re: [Advice Needed] splash on i.MX IPU

On 03.11.2017 13:57, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan wrote:
Hi,

On 3 November 2017 at 16:56, Stephan Bauroth <der_steffi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Dear dri-devel, spec. Dear i.MX folks,

I would like to display a splash screen on an i.MX6 based board from the
kernel as soon as the display hardware is initialized. But I'm having
trouble finding some kind of 'take this buffer and display it' function
within the IPU driver. (And I see no way of specifying such thing within the
device tree)

I tried to trace a userspace write to /dev/fb0 to see where it ends up, but
didn't succeed in finding the right entry point. I am aware of the fact that
the bootloader typically displays a splash and linux then doesn't touch it,
but this solution is not feasible for me, mostly because it would include
duplicating the functionality of a display driver when the kernel offers a
working one.

Has anybody built a splash from the kernel before? Or can anyone give me a
few pointers where to look for a start within the driver? Any help is
appreciated.

regards,
Stephan
Please take a look at
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1710.3/01542.html. I think
your need is similar to this. The solution is not mainline yet.

Thanks,
PrasannaKumar
That indeed looks promising, I will look into it. Thanks!

Stephan