Re: [RFC v1 1/1] Refactor ACPI DMA to support platforms without shared info descriptor in CSRT

On 22/03/2023 09:34, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

Btw, what is the real argument of not using this table?

Yes, I know that this is an MS extension, but why ARM needs something else and
why even that is needed at all? CSRT is only for the_shared_  DMA resources
and I think most of the IPs nowadays are using private DMA engines (or
semi-private when driver based on ID can know which channel services which
device).
The issue is that shared info descriptor is not part of CSRT definition [1]
and I think it is not standardized or documented anywhere.

I was specifically looking at NXP I.MX8MP platform and the DMA lines for
devices are specified using FixedDMA resource descriptor. I think other Arm
platforms like RPi have similar requirement.
Perhaps, but my question is_why_  is it so?
I.o.w. what is the technical background for this solution.

NXP I.MX8MP board uses shared DMA controller and the current ACPI firmware describes DMA request lines for devices using ACPI FixedDMA descriptors.

JFYI: ARM platform(s) use SPCR, which is also not a part of the specification.

SPCR and CSRT tables have permissive licensing and probably okay to use them.

The main issue is that the shared info descriptor in the CSRT table is not a standard and none of the arm platforms uses them.

--
Niyas

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux PCI]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]