Re: [RFC v1 1/1] Refactor ACPI DMA to support platforms without shared info descriptor in CSRT

On 21/03/2023 17:53, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

can_we_avoid_long_name_of_the_functions_please() ?

Sure, will do that.

Also is this renaming is a must?

It is not a must. I considered the existing method with shared info
as a special case as it uses non standard descriptors from CSRT table
and introduced the new function to handle it.

Btw, what is the real argument of not using this table?

Yes, I know that this is an MS extension, but why ARM needs something else and
why even that is needed at all? CSRT is only for the _shared_ DMA resources
and I think most of the IPs nowadays are using private DMA engines (or
semi-private when driver based on ID can know which channel services which
device).

The issue is that shared info descriptor is not part of CSRT definition [1] and I think it is not standardized or documented anywhere.

I was specifically looking at NXP I.MX8MP platform and the DMA lines for devices are specified using FixedDMA resource descriptor. I think other Arm platforms like RPi have similar requirement.

[1] https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/CSRT%20v2.pdf

--
Niyas

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux PCI]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]