RE: PCIe dmaengine driver on both x86 and ARM64

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 12:57:08PM +0000, Bharat Kumar Gogada wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We have a PCIe end point with DMA controller in it.
> > We are planning to code using DMA frame work for this DMA controller.
> >
> > The PCIe End Point can be used on both ARM64 and x86 platforms.
> >
> > We are planning to develop dmaengine driver and client driver model.
> >
> > In ARM64 case dmaengine driver and client driver are probed using
> > device tree and also channel information is also obtained from device tree.
>
> I think more details are necessary here.
>
> Why is *anything* necessary in the DT if this is contained within a
> (probeable) PCIe endpoint?

Thanks Mark.

Yes as you said it is PCIe probeable device, sorry I missed some information, in case of ARM64
if we invoke client driver from device tree where we can pass channel information
such as number of channels, direction and other things.  So in this case how will client driver request
the channel it want to use, to dmaengine driver ?

In case of x86 on what basis client driver can be probed and request the dma channels, if we already use
Vendor and device id for dmaengine driver ?

What if I have multiple end points connected which have same vendor and device id, how client driver can
differentiate to which pci device channels it is requesting ?

> What set of clients are you expecting this to be used with? Are these not within
> the same endpoint?
The data transferred from host to data can be used by several peripherals on End Point SOC,
it is completely use case dependent.

Thanks & Regards,
Bharat