Re: PROBLEM: repeatable lockup on RAID-6 with LUKS dm-crypt on NVMe devices when rsyncing many files

Hi,

> On 12. Aug 2024, at 20:37, John Stoffel <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Just try it in RAM at first, if you can make it work.  Or put the
> files in /tmp which should be a tmpfs filesystem backed by swap.

Thanks, I kinda expected that, but wasn’t sure. I’ll see whether I can make this trigger (reliably) before I run out of RAM. If I do, I’ll have to see.

>> However, I could take the hot spare and run a sequence of tests
>> against that, first with a newer and potentially with an older
>> kernel if it doesn’t reproduce in its final form:
>
> That's one option of course.
>
>> - xfs directly on the nvme drive
>> - xfs on encrypted nvme drive
>> - xfs on raid 1 on nvme drive, split into two partitions
>> - xfs on raid 5 on nvme drive, split into a few partitions
>> - xfs on raid 6 on nvme drive, split into a few partitions
>> - repeat the tests with raid1/5//6 with encrypted partitions
>
> That's an awesome test setup to run through and might take a bunch of
> time.

I’ll try to prepare scripts to set this up. I currently have a specific fileset that I’m using here, I hope I can replicate it with a different fileset at some point … -_-

>> As that will take some time and effort, I’d like to double check
>> whether that sounds sensible to you as well?
>
> I'd probably just do the RAID6 tests first, get them out of the way.

Alright, those are running right now - I’ll let you know what happens.

Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx · +49 345 219401 0
Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH · https://flyingcircus.io