Re: On allowing remounting the partition containing dm-mapped boot disk as read-write

Typically double mounts are done via bind mounts (not really double
mounted just the device showing someplace else).   Or one would do a
mount -o remount,rw <originaldir> and remount it rw so you could write
to it.

A real double mount where the kernel fs modules manages both mounts as
if it was a separate device won't work reliably, as the filesystem
module/caching assumes it has total control.   So writing to a
read-write device that has a separate read-only mount with some data
in the read cache will not return the true data in all cases.    2
read-write (done any way--except with a clustering fs modules) are
going to cause corruption of the underlying filesystem.

Given that the use case for the module is dangerous and the use case
is of questionable usefulness I would think that is no point of the
module.  The module's intent seems to be to get around the exclusive
locks that the filesystem (for good reason) is putting on the device.