Re: dm-cache issue

So, I ended up with the following setup:

  • Modified /etc/init.d/lvm2 to explicitly deactivate logical volumes: lvm lvchange -a n --select name=~.*
    • Create /lvm2-clean-shutdown if deactivation is successful.
  • Turn off automatic LV activation by setting auto_activation_volume_list=[] in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
  • Try to activate LVs later in the boot only if /lvm2-clean-shutdown exists.

This way I have the chance to try manual activation of the volumes in the case of unclean shutdown, or eventually uncache and recreate caches if flush/refresh appears to take too much time.

One strange thing is that while testing I forgot to set auto_activation_volume_list=[] and boot process got stuck at an very early stage – probably at udev activating lvm (/sbin/lvm pvscan --cache --activate ay from /lib/udev/rules.d/69-lvm-metad.rules). I waited for about five minutes but it didn't look like it's going to finish anytime soon, and I had no tty (too early in the boot), so I did reboot with a rescue CD and turned off LV auto activation in lvm.conf. This time the system came up quickly and the odd thing is that manual lvchange -ay was pretty fast - less that a minute for all 12 × 60GB caches. So, maybe there's a bug in udev/pvscan --activate?

Anyway, the above setup seems to work well for me, so I'm sticking with it for the time being.

Best regards,
Teodor