Re: [lvm-devel] dm thin: optimize away writing all zeroes to unprovisioned blocks

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014, Mike Snitzer wrote:

On Thu, Dec 04 2014 at 10:33am -0500,
Mike Snitzer <snitzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In testing this patch it is now quite clear that this change seriously
impacts test coverage in the device-mapper-test-suite because dmts'
wipe_device() uses /dev/zero as the ifile for dd to write to the disk.
As such, with this patch all tests expecting to see provisioned blocks
as a side-effect of wipe_device now fail (e.g. DiscardQuickTests).

So this change won't go upstream until full test coverage can be
restored in dmts.  I'll see what I can come up with but it is low
priority.

Can dtms use /dev/urandom?

BTW, this also makes me wonder if this change will be extremely
unintuitive to existing or future user of DM thinp.  So much so that it
might be best to require a new thin-pool feature flag to enable this
optimization.

Good idea, some may wish to turn it off. IMO, leaving it on by default would likely work for most use cases.

-Eric

Mike