Re: dm-multipath: Accept failed paths for multipath maps

On 07/18/2014 02:23 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17 2014 at  8:04pm -0400,
Mike Snitzer <snitzer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Revisiting this can of worms...

As part of full due-diligence on the approach that SUSE and NetApp have
seemingly enjoyed "for years" I reviewed Hannes' v3 patch, fixed one
issue and did some cleanup.  I then converted over to using a slightly
different approach where-in the DM core becomes a more willing
co-conspirator in this hack by introducing the ability to have
place-holder devices (dm_dev without an opened bdev) referenced in a DM
table.  The work is here:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/log/?h=throwaway-dm-mpath-placeholder-devs

Here is the rolled up patch (the individual commits in the above branch
are rather noisy given the sequencing):

  drivers/md/dm.c       |  5 ++---
  drivers/md/dm.h       | 12 ++++++++++++

These patches look quite okay; I'll be cross-checking with my version and do some testing there.

Will be sending some update once the testing is done.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688