Re: Extending DM w/ new target type

I see dmraid has two options -p (no_partitions) and -Z (rm_partitions).  I see that rm_partitions does just that, but it's not clear to me what the no_partitions option does.  Can somebody explain please?

How do utilities detect that a device is in use by DM?  I would like to be able to prevent creation of partitions on any disks my mapping target is using.  Are there ways to do that?  It would seem that DM solutions like raid, multipath, etc. would require this capability.

Thanks,
-john