Re: How to test the read/write flow of dm-target.

Hi Malahal

Is there any way to find the last sector of bio.
Is this a correct way to find last sector of bio

"bio->bi_sector=bio->bi_sector + (bio->bi_size >> 9)-1"

or

bio_for_each_segment(bvec,bio,
idx)
{
 bio->bi_sector=bio->bi_sector + (bvec->bv_len >> 9) -1;
}
Actually what i think both are same thing but in different way. Will this bio->bi_sector point to last sector of bio if bio->bi_vcnt is greater than 1.
What is correct way to find/get last sector from bio?
Regards,
Nishant.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Malahal Naineni <malahal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
nishant mungse [nishantmungse@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a device mapper target and I wanna test its read and
> write mechanisms. I created a device using this target and tried to
> write a filesystem on to the device.
>
> My target is creating roughly two outgoing bios per incoming bio.
> Which is maybe why I'm not able to get a proper log after running the
> mke2fs command as while writing the filesystem, there are massive
> amounts of writes performed on the device.
>
> So, I tried to use the cat command to directly write to the device
> file. The write is being performed for sure because I'm able to view
> the data written to the underlying device.
>
> But there is no output when I try to read the device file contents using cat.
>
> Is there any other way to test the read/write workflows of a dm target
> that can give out a proper log ?

I am not sure what you mean by 'proper log'. I would use 'dd' with
direct I/O to avoid cache so that every read and write directly go to the
device. I don't think you can do that with 'cat' command.