Re: FS directly on top of dm devices?

Stripe alignment was the benefit we were thinking as well. These devices will be used for ext3 file systems that will store a mix of file sizes and types that are accessed by user-written and executed applications on an HPC cluster.

It is difficult to tune the file system or the underlying SAN LUNs for such a mix, so we are choosing our best estimate for general i/o.

It is comforting to know that others are using no partitioning.

Thanks.

Christopher Chen wrote:
I run md over mpath dm'd devices, without partitioning. Of course, I
use dm-multipath to reach individual disks in a JBOD with two FC-AL
loops.

Lots of people like to do this to preserve stripe alignment.

I also use LVM, with the metadatasize option on creation of the PV, to
preserve stripe alignment.

Do you have a specific application in mind, like a database?