multipath selection based on queue length

Hi,

Our SAN group would like us to balance I/O requests across all paths based on queue length. My understanding of this is that we would essentially route each I/O request down the path with fewest pending I/O requests (perhaps my understanding is overly simplistic).

Is this possible with dm-multipath, multipath-tools, etc? I am running SLES 9 which includes dm-multipath 1.0.4 and multipath-tools 0.4.5.

The SAN is a Hitachi Tagma, here is one test LUN:

  350060e80000000000000a95200000480
  [size=13 GB][features="0"][hwhandler="0"]
  \_ round-robin 0 [enabled][best]
    \_ 0:0:0:36 sde  8:64    [active]
  \_ round-robin 0 [enabled]
    \_ 1:0:0:36 sdj  8:144   [active]

That is default config, I have also setup with multibus but our SAN group does not want us to use round-robin load balancing, nor do they want us to use single-path I/O as we would get with the failover approach.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fraser

--