[dm-devel] Re: [klibc] initrd / initramfs future

Dave Dodge wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:25:31PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:

root on nfs
root on iscsi

There are probably some other networked options.  For example root
on nbd has been tried here:

  http://borderworlds.dk/projects/#nr

How about copying root into a ramdisk from an ftp/tftp/http server?
Someone in a thin-client environment might try something like that.

Also: root on encrypted loop.  There are several basic encryption
options, including (I think) whose module you use.  There are lots of
ways the key might be acquired: interactively from keyboard, floppy,
USB storage, smart card, and so on.

One thing about having a "standard" initramfs solution: it needs to be flexible enough to allow customizations. After all, one of the big advantages to pushing this stuff into initramfs is that it's a lot easier for people to modify than mucking with the kernel directly.

I'd go even stronger: I think a "standard initramfs" needs to have well-defined hooks, so one can upgrade to the next initramfs image without having to re-do all the customizations. This is pretty easy, it's usually a matter of looking for subfiles and invoking them if present.

One more thing that worth nothing: I have been warned that there are some platforms with some pretty egregorious limits on the boot image size. Thus, there needs to be a solution for the people who simply cannot add a large amount to the kernel image size.

	-hpa