Re: Performance/Requirements of Argon2 header with removable devices

Hi Andreas,

there is a "work factor" (basically the old iteration count),
a paralellization factor and a memory footprint.

If you do not have the memory, you can probably forget
opening the LUKS container. Speed down is intentionally
exceptionally bad. The impact of the other factors is just
linear, i.e. you may just have to wait a bit longer.

I don't know whether you can open a LUKS container via
cryptsetup at all if you do not have enough memory.
It would probably have to start pageing and that alone
would give you an extreme unlock time. Also, if the
memory gets locked for the Argon2 calculation, it
cannot be paged in the first place.

My recommendation would be to use "--pbkdf-memory"
and set a value that is supported on all your devices
you want to use that LUKS container with.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----