Re: Aligning entire LUKS/LVM/Ext4 filesystem stack to 4K sectors

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 at 23:21, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/03/2021 22.39, Johnny Dahlberg wrote:
> On 19/03/2021, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Related question:
>>
>> How can one, on an exiting encrypted partition, find out what size is
>> using each layer, and if they are aligned or not?
>>
>> I am using encrypted partitions on SSD and I'm a bit worried.
>>

> Hello Carlos!
>
> First you would check the physical sector size of your SSD. It is most
> likely 4096 bytes (4K). You can check this by doing:
>
> cat /sys/block/(the parent device such as nvme0n1)/queue/physical_block_size

On the two machines I have running now, both have an nvme system disk,
but only one has the encrypted partition on it; both use 512:

cer@Telcontar:~> cat /sys/block/nvme0n1/queue/physical_block_size
512
cer@Telcontar:~>

Isengard:~ # cat /sys/block/sda/queue/physical_block_size
512
Isengard:~ #

Hum!

Since January 2011, all manufacturers began using Advanced Format (4096 bytes): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#History

From what I can find online, your Samsung 970 Evo Plus uses 8K sectors physically.

I think I'm good -  no worries :-)

Thanks! :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.
                (from 15.2 x86_64 at Telcontar)

If you want to check everything for sure, and learn everything important that there is to know about these things, you can check out my new guide / alignment checker tool at:

https://bananaman.github.io/friendly-guides/pages/storage_alignment.html

You just type in your current values in each field and it will tell you whether they're aligned to your physical sectors, or better yet to MiB boundaries (which is guaranteed to be aligned to all physical sector sizes no matter what your drive uses).

Every step tells you which commands to run to check that particular value.

There's also plenty of interesting information to learn on there.

Take care!

-- Johnny