Re: FDE with passphrase + low cost HSM in LUKS on boot

By now I beleive if you really want an entcypted boot process,
the best option is to get an encrypted USB stick (with keyboard)
and put the initrd on that. Remove after booting and preferrably
before the net is up. I have done initrd on usb stick
with hardcoded LUKS passphrase, so that should work nicely.

A diskAshur Pro or something like it should do the trick, but
make sure you get something some atrual security experts
have looked at.

My scenario for that was a server in a data-center to be rebooted
by a helper that has no access, but if needed gets the code to
a safe over the phone and there is the data-center chip card,
key and the USB stick in there. Plug in, boot server, remove
stick, put back in safe and lock save. I think the person that
would actually have done it would have been our company cleaner
(smart person, displaced unfortunately and cannot get a better
job, but has very high personal integrity).

BTW, that is where the serpective section in the FAQ comes from.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----