Re: FDE with passphrase + low cost HSM in LUKS on boot

Purism (among others) has done some work around using tokens with luks etc.  I have a few pages also.  I use a librem key and LUKS encrypted root partition.  Using Tokens in the linux boot process is still very immature but possible.

boot is unencrypted because it is nontrivial to get the boot process to be completely encrypted.  One my purism system pureboot handles verifying the files in /boot.  In theory, a secure boot setup on other systems can do the same.

https://docs.puri.sm/PureBoot.html
https://sites.google.com/site/jtmoree/knowledge-base/cryptsetup-luks-and-smart-cards?authuser=0

JT