Keyboard map issue

Hello!

I have a question that relates to my keyboard map, as pertains to unlocking my disk when starting my computer. I apologize in advance if this is not the right place for my question, and I'd appreciate being directed to a more appropriate forum.

The FAQ says:

"4.2 I cannot unlock my LUKS container! What could be the problem?

First, make sure you have a correct passphrase.  Then make sure you have the correct key-map and correct keyboard.  And then make sure you have the correct character set and encoding, see also "PASSPHRASE CHARACTER SET" under Section 1.2."

My issue is with the part of checking if my map is correct. My distro is PureOS, a Debian 10-based one; what I get as the computer boots is a screen much like the one on Ubuntu and, I suspect, Debian. It has nothing but a prompt for me to enter my passphrase, and as I type I get black dots instead of the letters.

The problem arises because I am in the process of changing my QWERTY keyboard map to Colemak, via the gradual steps of Tarmak. This means every week or so, during the transition, 3-5 keys change places. What I have found is that the map that is active on the decrypt screen does not necessarily match the one that was active when I turned off the computer. It seems the active map can be one of the previous stages, which causes me to type my passphrase wrong. My usual way of checking what map is active (as I still also have QWERTY available), hitting the key combination that switches between different maps, Super + space, does not work on that screen.

How do I deal with this? I have changed my passphrase to a shorter one that is layout-agnostic, but I'd like to change to something as long as before, and keep it that way, once my transition to Colemak is complete. How can I ensure the screen I mentioned will use the map I want?

Thank you very much,
Bruno