how to debug cryptsetup with gdb?

Hello,
I have built the cryptsetup executable and in trying to understand how it works I would like to use gdb to step thru the code and examine the data structures, etc. But cryptsetup is normally launched using the cryptsetup script so gdb can't operate on that directly.  Is there a gdbinit script available that gets things ready so that gdb can open the ./.libs/cryptsetup executable?

Thank you,
Keith