Re: LUKS2 support for null/plaintext target

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 2:42 AM Michael Kjörling <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2019 16:10 -0700, from lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Chris Murphy):
> > The use case is to make it possible for software installers to make
> > future encryption possible for a volume without need to
> > repartition/reformat.
>
> Wouldn't a normal LUKS container with an empty passphrase meet that
> use case just as well?

Maybe?

The main idea is to enable a distro/OS installer to avoid
interactivity and UI for setting up encrypted volumes, but make it
possible to setup and enabled post-install.

I haven't tried it, but does 'cryptsetup luksFormat' permit an empty
passphrase? And if it's empty, would 'cryptsetup luksOpen' open it
without a passphrase or keyfile?

--
Chris Murphy