Re: Upper ASCII password shenanigans

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 23:47, Defiant <mistave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That got me thinking. Has anyone tried using the upper 128+ ASCII
> characters (Extended ASCII) in your passwords? Technically even just a
> single character would be sufficient to significantly strengthen the
> passphrase. I have to admit I've never used them before, but I am
> looking at possibilities. The only time I've ever tried them was in my
> PayPal account - tried to use the euro sign, but the website started
> bitchin about it so I had to drop it.
>
> Ctrl (hold) + Alt (hold) + u + hex number + release ctrl and alt
>
> Does LUKS/LUKS2 support them?
>
> Can they be used in pre-boot authentication?

First of all dm-crypt deals with bytes, not with characters, therefor
it will take anything that you are able to hand to it.

Using more "exotic" characters (all of unicode) during the boot
process to decrypt your rootfs is not a problem. I'm doing so myself.
The only problem might be your method of entering them, depending on
what your keyboard supports.
Since you can do pretty much anything in your initramfs, you could
come up with a scheme to enter special characters. I don't know of any
such scheme for terminals but you could write your own wrapper around
dm-crypt which recognises special sequences and transforms them into
the appropriate character.
The feature you wrote about (entering characters by their character
code) is usually supplied by your desktop environment.