Re: Is my LUKS header corrupted?

Thanks everyone for replying.

It turns out the behavior was different than what I thought. On boot, Kubuntu drops into emergency mode after three password tries. After that if you exit emergency mode without rebooting, Kubuntu prompts for the passphrase again and drops into the emergency shell again after a single try. I was trying different versions of the passphrase and must have been oscillating between three of them in a way that made it appear that Kubuntu could detect the correct phrase. Then once I got into the emergency shell I must have been reconfirming the passphrase I thought worked.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I did try booting into an Arch boot disk and was unable to open the disk with the same passphrase.

The good news is that I was just using the wrong passphrase. Over the weekend I had been wrestling with a second LUKS disk that I know to be corrupted and got the two passphrases confused.

Sorry! And thanks again for all the replies.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:39 PM Heinz Diehl <htd+ml@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24.04.2019, Greg Laun wrote:

> I have a LUKS-encrypted hard drive partition that is showing the following
> behavior on Kubuntu 19.04:
[.....]

I would suggest trying to open the device after booting from an
external system, e.g. a Fedora or Arch linux boot disk. Just to rule
out it isn't Kubuntu doing something weird.