Re: 'discard' as default

On Sun, 2019-02-03 at 18:34 +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Specrte and Meltdown are indeed nice examples why that can
> backfire damatically. Security, like most good engineering,
> is about redundancy. You cut a bit here and a bit there and
> suddenly you are nacked. Not good at all.

Well Debian has unfortunately a not so short history in sometimes doing
rather questionable things in terms of security (*cough* openssl
*cough*). ;-)

But I guess this wrong mindset how to deal with security, i.e. not even
letting stuff that is targeted fully towards security have that as
priority can be found everywhere.
One would have expected that eventually something is learned from
history (spectre and meltdown are best examples), but apparently this
is not the case.

Anyway, guess there is nothing more upstream can/should do about
this... it's good to have an option to enable TRIM (for those who
deliberately want it) and it's good that it's not the default.
If distros choose to possibly weaken security, it's up to them and
unfortunately their users.

Cheers :-)