Re: Mildly OT: LUKS and the Debian installer

On 05/23/2018 11:58 AM, Jonas Meurer - jonas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 23.05.2018 um 10:18 schrieb Diagon:
>> Michael - I found the solution, which works on both Debian and Devuan.
>> I was given some kind help by someone on the Debian user's list, which I
>> am copying here:
>>
>> ------------
>> In the file “/etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook”, there is a line
>> “CRYPTSETUP” which is commented and/or has the default value “n”. If
>> this is the case, replace the line with “CRYPTSETUP=y”. So, the next use
>> of the command “update-initramfs” should solve your problem if I
>> understood it correctly.
>>
>> I think “CRYPTSETUP=y” is automatically set if you create an encrypted
>> partition by following the installer’s instructions, but not when you do
>> it outside these instructions.
>> ----------
>
> That's only partially correct. [...]
>
> Now that you have a working system with cryptsetup in the initramfs, I'd
> be curious about the following:
>
> If you comment out "CRYPTSETUP=y" in /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook
> and recreate your initramfs with `update-initramfs -u` from your running
> system, is cryptsetup still included in the initramfs? [...]

Jonas - happy day!  I can report that it works, cryptsetup is still
there, and I can reboot into the system!

On not so happy a note, I can also report that when I tried to ask on
OFTC/#debian-boot whether my difficulty finding a way to install into
(1) a luks container that occupies a whole device or (2) use non-default
cryptsetup options, the response was not positive.  I did get one guy
working on calamares, who told me he thought it might work:

https://calamares.io/about/

Do you think I should try anyway to report a bug against the debian
installer?