Mildly OT: LUKS and the Debian installer

So I'm doing something that I've done many times with Ubuntu.  That is,
preparing my disks in the live system (usually /boot on a USB stick and
/ on luks, no partition table on that second drive), then running the
install, and finally pivoting in to fix crypttab and update the initramfs.

After many tries with the debian installer, I've almost been able to get
this to work, though it does need some tending to to get there.  The
problem comes after I've pivoted in.  I install cryptsetup, as I find
that it's not there, and then correct crypttab/initramfs.  Oddly, I find
the initramfs does not include cryptsetup.  Hmmm.

I'm getting crickets on the Debian user list, but I figure someone here
must have done something like this.  Any hope I might find help?

/D