Re: Managing wrapped key ciphers with cryptsetup

Hi Hendrik,

The protability of the on disk format includes, that I can basicly reimplement cryptsetup from scratch, without relying on the current status quo. Moreover I even don't need to use kernel crypto stuff at all to i.e. create a decrypted image of the data. Your HSM specific changes would be tied into cryptsetup, but if I followed the current specification, and had the corresponding HSM, I still would need the 'specifics' regarding the HSM and how to use it, to set up the actual mapping.

If you got some spare time:
https://mbroz.fedorapeople.org/talks/DevConf2016/devconf2016-luks2.pdf

If the new format comes to life and allows for plugins, then if I reimplemented cryptsetup and had no suiting plugin for a HSM or say a cryptocard or whatever, I can not setup the mapping. But I'd know that I am prone to fail, since I lack the plugin I am supposed to use.

Now, in contrast, if you hack the HSM supprt into cryptsetup, there's no on disk indication and that is not really portable anymore.

Regards

-Sven