Re: Detached headers, multiple drives and UUIDs

On 04/10/2017 08:25 AM, Milan Broz wrote:
On 04/10/2017 03:07 PM, 7heo wrote:
Hello all,

I have a question regarding the deported headers in LUKS, and how it
can be used to simplify the setup of RAID over LUKS:

The current way to automatically unlock all the drives used in a Raid
array seems to be to add the same key to all the drives in the
array.

However that doesn't work with detached headers for obvious reasons.
The detached headers can apparently be used on any number of
devices/files at the same time, with one problem: they all have the
same UUID. I tried using the --uuid flag with luksOpen without
success.

You cannot change UUID for activated LUKS device, UUID must match the header
(otherwise libcryptsetup cannot handle many functions).

No one is asking to change the UUID of an activated LUKS device. Let's approach this in a different way:

Is there any need for the detached header to remain available after the LUKS device has been activated? That is, could I have the detached header on a separate, removable device and, after activating the LUKS device via that header, unmount that separate device and lock it away in a safe? Would that interfere with access to the activated device or interfere with a subsequent luksClose operation? I don't see any reason why it should, since "--header" is not mentioned as an option for luksClose (and its aliases). Obviously, no _other_ LUKS operation would be possible without that header.

When I try this in CentOS 7 (cryptsetup-1.7.2-1.el7) it seems to work just fine. No, I didn't try any of the "not possible" operations.

Given that the above is possible, then why could one not modify the UUID in that detached header and use it for a different device, given that one accepts that luksClose is the only possible LUKS operation on that orphaned active device?

                Do NOT delete it.