Re: Best practice for storing header backup and protecting against mistakes/misuse.

Arno, Michael,

Thank you for the information.

As a follow up. I will have a decrypted version of the master key
which I got via luksDump --dump-master-key. I checked the FAQ and cant
find something on how to overwrite a key slot with a good master key.
If I have this master key, what would be the process to replace the
passphrase in keyslot 0 with a new passphrase?

This is my process so far for backup in case of header corruption or
forgetting/changing passphrase:

1: Create a header backup:

Mount my encrypted USB drive
cd /mnt/encryptedUSB
cryptosetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file
{hostname_partition_header}.bin /dev/xvdb1

2: Create a backup of the key:
cryptsetup luksDump --dump-master-key /dev/xvdb1 > {hostname_partition_dump}.txt
dmsetup table --target crypt --showkey /dev/mapper/encrypted >
{hostname_partition}.key
(this is going onto an hardware encrypted USB. I might replace this
with Arno's suggestion and stick this into a safe)

3: Create a Keepass file and store the passphrase at the time
{hostname_partition_header}.bin was taken.

Any suggestions, holes in this plan?

Thanks again.