Re: Best practice for storing header backup and protecting against mistakes/misuse.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 15:42:03 CEST, Waqar Khan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read through the FAQ and its got a lot of useful information
> from the backup section.

Thanks!
[...]
> Lastly, a few people have access to this machine (through the same
> passphrase), some work colleagues, how can I protect against one
> disgruntled member leaving the company and changing the passphrase
> (then unmounting the volume for good measure) and not telling anyone?

Simple: Have a header backup with a known passphrase and make sure
that potentially disgruntled employee cannot kill that backup.
Then you can just restore that header backup and use the known
good passphrase in there. I would recommend using a passphrase
for this that is used nowhere else and is the only passphrase
in that header.

Alternatively, you could write down or print the master key on
paper and put that in a sealed envelope and that in a safe
or bank lockbox. You should probably encrypt the master-key with
PGP/GnuPG before and will still get something that still easily
fits on paper and can be typed in with reasonable effort, but
is less exposed than an unprotected master key and can be stored
in a place where it is just not easily destroyed,

Of course, you can also put a header-backup on paper, but that
takes something like 50 pages or so if you just store the first
keyslot.

Regards,
Arno
--