Re: Missing keyslot or broken header or still some hope?

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2016 at 20:35:32 CET, zero.tonin@xxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all, and hi Arno,
>

> first of all, sorry the html "emails" - I don't usually do this and
> usually use plain-text only myself.  The last mails were, however, in this
> emergency situation, sent from my phone, where I cannot change this
> behavior, unfortunately...

Understandable. No harm done.

> After fighting a little bit with cryptsetup (i must have missed some
> information which packages are required to compile from source), I did get
> the keyslot checker to work.  Unfortunately, the output is obscure to me,
> so I home someone can help me interpret this.

It says your key-slots have no larger areas overwritten with other data.
That is by far the most common thing that happens. Not here, it seems.

> I suspected a hw issue and thus, at least, ran the vendor's diagnostic
> tools, but no issue could be found, including memory and HDD - would it
> more likely be something related to the disk itself (bad sectors, broken
> read-heads et cetera?)

No idea. Maybe bad buffer-memory on the disk or something like
it.

> Great idea to test the drive on a different machine - would a dd copy
> suffice for that, as I am afraid I do not posses the skills to take my
> laptop apart.  not as long as there might be hope to rescue stuff
> otherwise.  I would do this as a last resort, if the hw is broken o a
> degree anyway, of course.

In principle, yes, but if you have a problem with bit-errors on
reading or the like, then you would at least need to also
do an md5sum or the like of copy and original to make
sure there are no errors. A single bit-error in a
keyslot makes it unusable.

> Thanks again for your time and efforts, everybody,

No problem.

Regards,
Arno