Re: Missing keyslot or broken header or still some hope?

Hi all, and hi Arno,
first of all, sorry the html "emails" - I don't usually do this and usually use plain-text only myself. The last mails were, however, in this emergency situation, sent from my phone, where I cannot change this behavior, unfortunately...

After fighting a little bit with cryptsetup (i must have missed some information which packages are required to compile from source), I did get the keyslot checker to work.
Unfortunately, the output is obscure to me, so I home someone can help me interpret this.

I suspected a hw issue and thus, at least, ran the vendor's diagnostic tools, but no issue could be found, including memory and HDD - would it more likely be something related to the disk itself (bad sectors, broken read-heads et cetera?)

Great idea to test the drive on a different machine - would a dd copy suffice for that, as I am afraid I do not posses the skills to take my laptop apart. not as long as there might be hope to rescue stuff otherwise. I would do this as a last resort, if the hw is broken o a degree anyway, of course.

Thanks again for your time and efforts, everybody,
Mark

user@debian:~/.bin/cryptsetup/misc/keyslot_checker$ sudo ./chk_luks_keyslots -v /dev/sda5

parameters (commandline and LUKS header):
  sector size: 512
  threshold:   0.900000

- processing keyslot 0:  start: 0x001000   end: 0x03f800
- processing keyslot 1:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 2:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 3:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 4:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 5:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 6:  keyslot not in use
- processing keyslot 7:  keyslot not in use