Re: cryptsetup with Python subprocess + pipes

You obviously did not look at the example because the data is not hidden
steganographically.

The way it works is that you have a slab with multiple possible volumes
at various offsets. To decrypt a volume, you need to know the offset and
the password. An attacker cannot delete the volume because he does not
know the offset.

These offsets are stored in a hashmap array. The password is hashed
using scrypt, then the array is indexed. The value at that index is then
decrypted using the password to get the offset.

So all the user needs is a password. With that, the software can find
the index, use the password to get the volume's index within the slab
and then decrypt it.

About a well engineered solution: today I just found VeraCrypt which
actually works well. I encourage people to try it. It can create hidden
volumes.

Arno Wagner: