Re: /sbin/cryptsetup: not found on boot after Grub repair - manual mounting works

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 21:25:15 CEST, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> You are welcome.

Valid questions that come with a reasonable atempt to
give good information are always welcome.

> Blame it on bad documentation.

One of the things where FOSS is often not better than
commrcial software, unfortunately.

> Figuring this out just by reading the
> error message is a pretty tough one ;-). Simply put:
> update-initramfs expects to be run in a chroot that exactly matches
> the system after a normal boot (this is not limited to cryptsetup),
> otherwise automagic fails hard during detection and creates major
> desaster.

Indeed. Automagic becomes automess there. The idea to configure
the initramfs to exactly what is currently running in that chroot
is valid, but it should come with very clear warnings that
things are done this way.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx