Re: [ANNOUNCE] LUKSMeta

The library uses libcryptsetup for all parsing and for locating the
gap. We do not parse anything ourselves. We make the following
assumptions on top of what libcryptsetup officially provides:

* crypt_keyslot_area() offset + length indicates the end of the keyslot
* crypt_get_data_offset() indicates the start of ciphertext data
* Sector size is 512 (ex. crypt_get_data_offset())
* The gap between the last keyslot and the ciphertext data is empty
* 4k alignment for the LUKSMeta header and each LUKSMeta slot

If there is insufficient space to accommodate the current operation, we
return -ENOSPC. If crypt_get_type() does not return CRYPT_LUKS1, we
return -ENOTSUP. All of the major error conditions are documented in
the header: https://github.com/latchset/luksmeta/blob/master/luksmeta.h

In the case of a non-default configuration, libcryptsetup will properly
handle the parsing and we will still perform all of our sanity checks
(like ensuring free space). However, I don't think we support the case
of detatched headers. You are welcome to test this (and patches
welcome). Any customization that violates our above assumptions will
likely result in breakage. However, given that all these assumptions
are also hard-coded in LUKSv1, I don't believe this is possible without
building your own version of libcryptsetup (and breaking
compatibility).

I should also mention that LUKSMeta has an extensive test suite with
near-100% code coverage (we don't currently cover things like hardware
error conditions; patches welcome). This test suite is run on every
commit (via TravisCI). We also periodically run coverity scans (also
via TravisCI).

One additional thing that probably deserves mention: the
crypt_header_backup() and crypt_header_restore() functions do not
currently backup/restore the gap. Thus, using these functions could
result in breakage where the LUKS header is restored but the LUKSMeta
data is not. I don't see any reason why these functions could not be
expanded to also backup/restore the data in the gap. This would not
need to break any existing functionality. But this would be an upstream
change in libcryptsetup.