Re: LUKS is written to a device with no partition table. Is it possible to add a partition table?

On 04/19/2016 12:08 PM, Joe Hillenbrand wrote:
I have a 12TB hardware RAID5 external hard drive array.

4 @ 4 TB HDD's? What is the make/ model of external hard drive array? What is the make/ model of the drives? What is/ are the interface(s) to your computer?

I had initially planned to only ever encrypt data to the device, but now I
need about half encrypted and half not.

2 @ 4 TB => 4 TB RAID1 and 2 @ 4 TB => 4 TB RAID1 encrypted?

The device is `/dev/sdd`. It mounts as `fatty`.

There is no partition table.
As you can see LUKS starts at the first byte of the device.

There is a btrfs filesystem on the LUKS device and I resized it down to 4TB.
I can't really move the data anywhere, because it's too big and would
require buying more hardware.
Is it possible to add a partition table without losing the data?

A few years back I tried to be a cowboy and rearrange my large data without buying additional hardware. I lost data. I then bought enough hardware to implement daily backups with dual redundant copies:

1. I like large desktop HDD's for backups. If you use 8 TB HDD's for backups, 2 @ 4 TB RAID1's should fit onto one backup drive.

2. Mobile docks both protect the drives and make it easy to move the drives around (e.g. off-site rotation):

	https://www.startech.com/HDD/Mobile-Racks/Black-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer-with-Shock-Absorbers-Professional-Series~DRW115SATBK

I realize that's a big investment -- 420+ USD per drive plus rack. My 3 @ 3 TB drives with racks cost me ~800 USD. It was worth it.

David