Re: LUKS is written to a device with no partition table. Is it possible to add a partition table?

Hi,

On 04/19/2016 10:06 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> First,
>
> please do not post HTML email to the list.
>
> Second, while it is possible to add a partition table
> without backup, it is an extremely dangerous operation,
> dangerous enough that your chances of doing so successfully
> are near zero if you have to ask how to do it. I strongly
> recommend against trying.
>
> Now, if you want to lose all data, here is what you can try:
> 1. Resize filesystem in LUKS container to half device size.
Joe has 2.8/4 TiB in use. I think it only works in-situ which is at
least as double as dangerous as your approach :-)
> 2. Move LUKS container to end
> 3. Create partition table and a partition that covers 1st half
>    of the device. Create LUKS container and in it a
>    filesystem in that partition.
> 4. Mount LUKS container in 2nd half of disk (using offset)
>    and LUKS conteiner in partition.
> 5. Copy all data from filesystem in LUKS container in 2nd half
>    of disk to filesystem in LUKS conteiner in 1st half.
> 6. Unmap container in 2nd half of disk.
> 7. Create 2nd partition covering 2nd half of disk and
>    put filesystem in there.
I second, this sounds a bit safer than my idea. Maybe it is possible to
backup 800GiB of data to follow Arnos solution.

  Ralf