Re: LUKS is written to a device with no partition table. Is it possible to add a partition table?

First,

please do not post HTML email to the list.

Second, while it is possible to add a partition table
without backup, it is an extremely dangerous operation,
dangerous enough that your chances of doing so successfully
are near zero if you have to ask how to do it. I strongly
recommend against trying.

Now, if you want to lose all data, here is what you can try:
1. Resize filesystem in LUKS container to half device size.
2. Move LUKS container to end
3. Create partition table and a partition that covers 1st half
   of the device. Create LUKS container and in it a
   filesystem in that partition.
4. Mount LUKS container in 2nd half of disk (using offset)
   and LUKS conteiner in partition.
5. Copy all data from filesystem in LUKS container in 2nd half
   of disk to filesystem in LUKS conteiner in 1st half.
6. Unmap container in 2nd half of disk.
7. Create 2nd partition covering 2nd half of disk and
   put filesystem in there.

If you make one tiny mistake anywhere, chances are your
data is gone. Do not try this without full, current backup.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----