Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Actually PARTUUID should have read PARTTYPE-GUID - So there's no reason why moving it to a different partition should not work, updating the PARTTYPE is a trivial step and part of a proper moving operation anyway.

Just imagine the network's linklayer had no idea which upper layer to call, because there's no information on that. TCP/IP again does not have that type of information.

So either the layering order is fixed and determined, or you actually will need intra-layer relationships for proper operation. As an alternative, leave it to the user's knowledge and handling. But then we don't need partition tables, LUKS-headers or anything else either, afterall you can tell each layer the geometry and parameters manually and use dmsetup for all your tasks.

Regards

-Sven