Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 20:45:35 CET, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 16:44:02 CET, Milan Broz wrote:
[...]
> > The reply/revert attack possibility without support of specific hw will
> > be still there but I would say even if we can provide method how to detect
> > random corruption of sectors it could be useful.
>
> From my experience with larger storage systems, I doubt that.
> The disks do an excellent job of detecting sector corruption
> themselves these days. And even before, a defective CPU or RAM
> was much more likely the cause of data corruption than an
> undetected read error on disk.
>
> As it is basically free with authenticated encryption, it may
> still have some use though.

Come to think of it, with iSCSI and Network Block Devices,
detecting corruption if the dm-crypt layer does not run
on the machine the disks are in makes quite a bit of sense,
even if it ends up detecting bus, controller and memory
problems and not disk problems.

One application of iSCSI is exporting a volume from a
slow-CPU NAS and then doing LUKS/dm-crypt on a machine
with good CPU power but little space for disks.

Will in any case be interesting to see how much this does
cost in terms of performance in the real world.

Regards,
Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx