Re: The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 14:49:38 CET, Zaolin wrote:
> Hi,

> > > This is exactly why integrity matters? The point is to have an usb
> > > drive /
> > > external disk *fully* encrypted.  The decryption is done by the
> > > host
> > > (which is trusted).  In that case, confidentiality and integrity
> > > are both
> > > important.
> >
> > No. You are trying to solve the wrong problem. First, disk
> > encryption with 1:1 mapping will never give you integrity
> > protection and the other variants kill performance.
> I partially agree. What's about using GCM or CCM mode of operation for
> disk encryption ? ;) In order to solve the evil maid issue you need
> hardware security and a secure boot process.

GCM needs extra storage and so does CCM. The problem is that
a simple entropy-argument shows that integrity protection is
infeasible in the general case without extra storage.

The effect is that unless you want to mess with effective
disk block size (not a good idea), you do not get integrity
protection in block-level disk encryption. On the other hand,
there is a file-level alternative: eCryptFS. It serves somewhat
different needs and has different performance characteristics.
It basically does automated per-file PGP-like encryption. (The
format is even derived from PGP.) It does have some drawbacks
though, for example filenames, the filesystem (think evil maid)
and some metadata and information about file changes are not
protected.

Regards,
Arno

--