Re: Variable data offset for a LUKS volume that uses a detached header.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:39:48 CET, .. ink .. wrote:
[...]
> >> Reason for doing this is an attempt at having a detached LUKS header
> >> capable of unlocking a VeraCrypt volume since
> >> unlocking a VeraCrypt volume takes too long and its annoying.
> >
> > Oh, yes. I did complain to them, never got an answer. I plan
> > to move my Windows machine back to the last Truecrypt, since
> > the one known vulnerability seems not to affect single-user
> > machines anyways.
> >

> Recent versions of VeraCrypt has an option to default to TrueCrypt
> volumes when unlocking
> and hence you can use it the same way you use TrueCrypt and because of this,i
> think its better to continue to use VeraCrypt with the option set to
> use it as if its TrueCrypt.
>
> You can set the option at: menu->settings->preferences->mount
> options->TrueCrypt mode.

I agree. Thanks for the info, will try that.

> > Currently I am attaching 8 zeros to the pasphrase, so I can unlock
> > my high-entropy passhrase with iteration 10 and not wait 70 seconds
> > in VeraCrypt. Somebody there really has no clue why usability is
> > important and that users should be able to ovverride most things.
> > They may just know more than the developers about their application
> > scenario...
> >

> zuluCrypt can create VeraCrypt volumes with a PIM value of 1 and a
> blank password as minimum
> requirements.

Also good to know. I think I will make it easier on me and just
decrypt, then recrypt with TrueCrypt and use VeraCrypt on that
volume. Takes longer but is 5 minutes of actuial work.

> > Does anybody know what the status of CipherShed and TCnext is and
> > whether they have more of a clue?
> >

> I peek at their mailing lists at a rate of about once a month and i do
> not think they are going
> anywhere anytime soon[1].

That was my impression as well. Maybe in a year or two they
will have something.

Regards,
Arno

--