Re: Variable data offset for a LUKS volume that uses a detached header.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 13:00:08 CET, .. ink .. wrote:
> Happy holidays everybody,
>
> I am trying to create a LUKS volume with a detached header that has
> data offset at sector 256 and things fail with
>  an error that reads:
>
> "Data offset for detached LUKS header must be either 0 or higher than
> header size (4036 sectors)."
>
> Is there a technical reason why this is so and is it possible to allow
> other data offsets?

No idea. What about doing an offset with LVM first and then zero
offset for LUKS?

> Reason for doing this is an attempt at having a detached LUKS header
> capable of unlocking a VeraCrypt volume since
> unlocking a VeraCrypt volume takes too long and its annoying.

Oh, yes. I did complain to them, never got an answer. I plan
to move my Windows machine back to the last Truecrypt, since
the one known vulnerability seems not to affect single-user
machines anyways.

Currently I am attaching 8 zeros to the pasphrase, so I can unlock
my high-entropy passhrase with iteration 10 and not wait 70 seconds
in VeraCrypt. Somebody there really has no clue why usability is
important and that users should be able to ovverride most things.
They may just know more than the developers about their application
scenario...

Does anybody know what the status of CipherShed and TCnext is and
whether they have more of a clue?

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx