Re: Open raid1 with luks encryption after a raid re-create

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 16:05:23 CET, Luís Alexandre wrote:
> On 22-11-2015 12:52, Arno Wagner wrote:
> >Ok, lets repeat that with the full disks and including the full signature
> >
> >hd /dev/sdx | grep "0  4c 55 4b 53 ba be 00 01"
> >
> >with x one of your RAID disks. Do this for both. May take a while.
> >This gives you the alignment as well. The "hd" start of a good
> >luks header and container (header starts at offset 0) looks like
> >this:
> >
> >00000000  4c 55 4b 53 ba be 00 01  61 65 73 00 00 00 00 00 |LUKS....aes.....|
> >Only the first 6 bytes are fixed. Bytes 6 and 7 are the version
> >of which there currently is onlyy "0001". This will always be
> >aligned to a 512 byte boundary. Doing it this way has the
> >advantage that you get the offset as well.
>
> found it in one of the disks:
> 08100000  4c 55 4b 53 ba be 00 01  61 65 73 00 00 00 00 00
> |LUKS....aes.....|

Ok, you may be in luck and may just have killed the partition
table.

> Can you tell me how should I proceed now?

If you still do not have that binary backup of the full disk,
make it now. Seriously. A tiny mistake can kill everything
permanently at this stage.

Next, we will try to copy this LUKS container to the start
of a different disk. You need a second disk that is the same
size or larger as your LUKS container. (A different option would
be to create a partiton at exactly the right spot, but that is
tricky. Copying can also be done with dd, but I find the
option syntacs rather convoluted. Opter options exist.)

Do this:

  tail -c +135266305 /dev/sdx > /dev/sdy

with sdx your source and sdy the target (fresh, empty disk).
This essentially makes a copy shifted 129MB forwards on /dev/sdy.
May take a long time. (Unfortunately, tail counts from 1,
hence the argiment is 129MB + 1)

Then try to open the LUKS container on /dev/sdy

  cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdy e1

If that works, you can then mount /dev/mapper/e1 and copy your
data off. If it does not, I may have screwed up the offset.
The LUKS container should be right at the beginning of
/dev/sdy. To just test the header, you can make the copy as above
and interrupt after a few seconds. luksOpen will still work if
the header is fine.

While this may seem a lot of effort, remember that you are very
close to a complete, unrecoverable loss of your data. I would
advise you not to cut corners and in particular make that
full disk binary backup before you do anything else.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----