Re: Data recovery recomendations needed

On Tue, April 21, 2015 20:49, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Data recovery people have the sector-checksums the disk does.

They have, and might give you a bad sector list (for a sector copy that
is). Then again, you never know WHAT failure occured - there is a slight
chance of recovering data with coherent checksums that is broken. Not all
failures have physical media damage or completely fried chips ;-).

> For a (potentially very expensive) file-level recovery, you
> just provide the passprase to them, at least the competent ones
> will be able to handle LUKS.

Indeed. File Recovery is usually VERY costly (at least to disk overhaul -
cheapest - and sector copy - medium cost). Usually they will pretty much
offer whatever you want. I.E.: They will take a look at the disk, check if
the LUKS header is intact (or send a recovered copy on demand for the
customer to check it) and will choose to proceed the way the customer
wants.

> Arno

Regards

-Sven