Re: dmcrypt concern

I guess it is the typical misconception the OP fell for.

Tradional PW hashing works like: PW->hash->store digest (well hopefully
the PW is salted a priori). So any collision will obviously yield a proper
auth.

In contrast, with LUKS the digest is used for key candidate verification.
so key->hash->digest check. Check is positive, key is accepted, yet it
will naturally give unuseable data instead of cleartext, as it is not the
correct key.

Wasn't there a section in the FAQ explaining this more thoroughly? Maybe
the section is not 'foolproof' enough as this issue keeps recurring?

Regards

-Sven